I really hate to beat a dead horse, but Michael Egnor of the Discovery Institute has another blog post ridiculously relating the theory of evolution with eugenics. Just so that we are all starting on the same page, here is a short list of why eugenics is not based on evolution:
- eugenics = human breeding
- animal and plant breeding is way older than evolutionary theory
- evolution deals with natural selection, genetic drift, and random mutations, not forced breeding
I am not saying that those who practiced eugenics didn’t point to evolutionary principles as the underlying reason for eugenics. What I am saying is that evolutionary theory is unnecessary for eugenics, and it more resembles the ancient practice of breeding.
Now back to Egnor’s newest post. He writes:
Few physicians and medical scientists and educators with genuine experience with medical education, research, and practice, and who are not ideologically committed to the materialist-atheist metaphysics for which Darwinism is the creation myth, honestly believe that evolutionary biology is important to medicine.
Many bloggers, including myself, have pointed to many reasons why evolutionary theory is important to medicine. Here is an abbreviated list of its usefulness:
- ability to use model organisms
- bioinformatics comparing different species to find important parts of genes or proteins
- microbial resistance to antibiotics; viruses evolving resistance to antivirals
- cancer cells evolving resistance to chemotherapy
- populations with predispositions to certain diseases
- nutrition and health guidelines
Of course Egnor has not acknowledged these points even though he wrote that he is aware of the blogs refuting his claim. He continues with his denial so that he can keep promoting his unstated premise that evolution is evil and scientists who believe in it are also evil. Fear is a powerful tool, and Egnor is using this fear of Nazi’s and eugenics to push his agenda.
In closing, I want to say that none of this has an effect on whether or not evolution is responsible for the diversity of life on this planet. Moving the subject to eugenics is simple misdirection so the discussion will be moved away from ID proponents biggest problem: evidence.
Filed under: Uncategorized |